Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ann Wilson shows her Heart

   Ann Wilson's voice is so unique and powerful, I'd spend money to listen to her sing the "Dollar Value Menu" at McDonalds.

Lucky for me and the rest of her fans that she released her first-ever solo CD this week -- "Hope & Glory." The album is full of new renditions of rock classics and guest appearances from legendary artists, including Elton John, Alison Krauss and Rufus Wainwright.  Even Ann's sister, Nancy Wilson from Heart, joins in on a few tunes.

"Hope & Glory" is definitely a trip through the music that inspired Ann and Heart. "Where To Now St. Peter" (by Elton John) and "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin) prosper from her reinvention. Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" benefits from as a duet dipped in patches of blue grass.

"Each of these songs holds a special place in my soul," Ann writes on her Myspace page. "At one time or another every one of them has kept me up at night to the point of exasperation and will not be banished, as I lay sleepless on my pillow. Such songs as these carry me through my life, and they are a standard to which all new music I hear and write must compare."

The only original Ann Wilson tune is "Little Problems, Little Lies," which retells a chapter from her childhood, being brought up as the daughter of a Marine who disagreed with the Vietnam War. Ann's voice reaches Heart-like peaks here, bringing fans hope that they'll hear it again live on the next tour.

Overall, "Hope & Glory" is a must-have CD for Heart fans and for those who just want to explore the music the inspired Ann Wilson

No comments: