Thursday, October 25, 2007

Most depressing songs of the 80s (#41-50)

Turn the lights low. Pour yourself a drink of scotch. Maybe keep a pack of cigarettes and a tissue box close by. The list of the Top 50 Most Depressing Songs of the 80s is here.

Thanks go to the all the Remember The 80s readers who offered a ton of suggestions via the blog and e-mail. I can proudly admit I've spent days weeping over the final rankings, looking up lyrics, listening to the tunes, sobbing openly and swearing in public at inappropriate times. (Again, I apologize to all those kids last night at Chuck E. Cheese.) You name it. But I did it all for you.

I'll roll out the list 10 songs at a time -- trust me, that's more depression than anyone can handle in a single day. As always, fire away with the comments, feedback, phone numbers for suicide hot lines.

TOP 50 MOST DEPRESSING SONGS OF THE 80s: Nos. 41-50

50. Friends of Mine (Duran Duran): "I thinks it's time you were told I think you're growing old."

49. Ghost Town (Cheap Trick): "Life goes on around me every day but it might as well be half a million miles away."

48. Always Something There to Remind Me (Naked Eyes): "If you should find you miss the sweet and tender love we used to share, just come back to the places where we used to go and I'll be there."

47. Hell Is For Children (Pat Benatar): "Be a good little boy, and you'll get a new toy. Tell grandma you fell off the swing."

46. Rockville (R.E.M.): "At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend I don't care that you're not here with me."

45. Who's Cryin' Now (Journey): "So many stormy nights, so many wrongs or rights."

44. Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division): "Do you cry out in your sleep?"

43. Haven't We Been Here Before (Styx): "Footsteps lead down to the note on the door that says I can't stay here anymore."

42. Better Be Home Soon (Crowded House): So don't say no, don't say nothings wrong 'cause when you get back home maybe I'll be gone."

41. Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me (The Smiths): No hope, no harm. Just another false alarm."

Sneak peak at tomorrow's list: More Duran Duran, the Cure and the Cars.

No comments: