Monday, October 29, 2007

Most depressing songs of the 80s: Top 20

What better person to introduce the final 20 songs from the Most Depressing Songs of the 80s list than "Gary" from "Last American Virgin."

I'm going out on a limb here and proclaiming that Gary (played expertly by the much-underrated Lawrence Monoson) is the saddest movie character of the 80s. If you don't know why, then it's time to rent the movie again. (Even sadder that his signature tune ''Just Once" didn't make the top 20, but another song from the movie did.)

This list is for all the Gary's out there. (Click here to see Nos. 21-30, 31-40, 41-50)

MOST DEPRESSING SONGS OF THE 80s: The Top 20

20. With Or Without You (U2): "Sleight of hand and twist of fate, on a bed of nails she makes me wait." [Video]

19. Love on the Rocks (Neil Diamond): "First they say they want you, how they really need you. Suddenly you find you're out there, walking in a storm." [Video]

18. Throwing It All Away (Genesis): "Late at night when you call my name, the only sound you'll hear is the sound of your voice calling, calling after me." [Video]

17. Separate Lives (Phil Collins): "Some day I might find myself looking in your eyes. But for now, we’ll go on living separate lives." [Video]

16. The Bitterest Pill (The Jam): "I wish this grave would open up and swallow me alive." [Video]

15. Since You're Gone (The Cars): "You're so treacherous when it comes to tenderness." [Video]

14. Goodnight Saigon (Billy Joel): "And who was wrong? And who was right? It didn't matter in the thick of the fight." [Video]

13. Against All Odds (Phil Collins): "I wish I could just make you turn around, turn around and see me cry." [Video]

12. Fairytale of New York (The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl): "Happy Christmas, your arse, I pray God it's our last." [Video]

11. Is This The World We Created?
(Queen): "If there's a God up in the sky looking down, what can he think of what we've done?" [Live video]

10. Dear God (XTC): "If there's one thing I don't believe in... it's you." [Video]

9. Voices Carry (Til Tuesday): "He tells me tears are something to hide,  and something to fear." [Video]

8. Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper): "You said go slow. I fall behind. The second hand unwinds." [Video]

7. The River (Bruce Springsteen): "No wedding day smiles, no walk down the aisle. No flowers, no wedding dress." [Live video]

6. Mercy Street (Peter Gabriel): "Tugging at the darkness, word upon word." [Video]

5. No One Is To Blame (Howard Jones): "You can feel the punishment but you can't commit the sin." [Live video]

4. Blasphemous Rumors (Depeche Mode): "When I die I expect to find him laughing." [Live video]

3. Here Comes A Regular
(The Replacements): "I used to live at home, now I stay at the house" [Listen]

2. Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg): "We drank a toast to innocence. We drank a toast to now. And tried to reach beyond the emptiness. But neither one knew how." [Watch video]

1. Fast Car (Tracy Chapman): "We leave tonight or live and die this way." [Watch video]

No comments: